Monday, July 26, 2010

Thing 8: Tabbed Browsing and Add-Ons in Firefox

Firefox is a free-ware browser for the Internet. Currently in its third version, this program can be used not only to navigate the Internet but also to organize your searches. Let’s start with a video to give a little background on some of the things Firefox can do for us. It’s a quick introduction, don’t worry if you don’t get everything. It's called Why Firefox 3 is Awesome and How to Make it Better.


In that video, Jimmy refers to Tab Mix Plus. This is an add-on that, as you saw in the video, is pretty cool. To get to that add-on, follow this link and PLAY!

The next two videos tell us more specifics on the current version of Firefox: 3.6. I especially like the recalling sites features that work by typing in just a little bit of the site name or by going to History in your toolbar and clicking on "recently closed tabs." Wow, that's saved me several times just putting this module together! :-) Once I downloaded the Tab Mix Plus, however, I found I could add an icon for recently closed Windows right onto my navigation bar which really is not saving me a lot of time!



Add-Ons: Besides being a general gateway to the Internet, Firefox allows us to customize our browsing to best suit our needs. 'Tab browsing" and using Add-ons help to keep us moving through the Internet quickly and efficiently. The "Tab Mix Plus" extension discussed in the first video is one add-on you can use to help in your searching. Add-Ons are ways of customizing your browser to add specific features or to make your browsing easier for you. As we saw above, the Tab Mix Plus is an add-on that customizes the way we view Internet sites. There are literally thousands of add-ons so it is impossible to list them all here. Go to the Firefox site for a full list of add-ons.

Some Add-Ons of particular interest to youth services librarians:
  • Zotero (an organizer for bibliographic citations)
  • and Converter (converts units of measurement, e.g. Celsius/Fahrenheit, pounds/kilos, inches/meters, etc.)
Some thoughts:
  • So what's your preference? Internet Explorer or Firefox and why?
  • Are you the kind of person who likes to customize everything, like Firefox allows you to, or does it even matter to you?

8 comments:

  1. I've been using Firefox at home for several years, and prefer it simply because it's not microsoft. I like that there are options! But I need to play with the custom features more. I love having my tabs saved. Zotero and Converter will be extremely useful for my virtual reference shifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly use IE8. The lastest versions have tabbed browsers too, although not all the customization features of Firefox. We're not supposed to use Firefox @ work, so I stick with IE. I can see the appeal of Firefox (especially the fact that all page items may be enlarged - great for folks with impaired vision), but I might be too lazy to customize everything - especially when I share my home computers with the kids, who are especially fond of changing settings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my kids change my settings to! ....funny Right now I have a Wookie screen saver? Like where did that come from! Is it possible that Firefox might help me be one step ahead of my teens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we can't download Firefox at this library either. And here, too, the staff computers have IE8 and can do many of these things. The patrons, however, are stuck with a lousy old version of IE and often get poor service from our overstressed, old computers. Also, my teen uses Firefox at home, and I can see that it works better than IE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using Firefox and most of us (staff) at the library use Firefox, though I did learn a few new tricks today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use both. As far as customizing features, some choices are great too many not so much. I can't download the add-on here at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use firefox at home and work. It was set up for me, though. I found it useful to learn about the add-ons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for including this activity! My previous knowledge of Firefox was not positive, as in "Please redo this LibGuide so that Firefox users don't see a skewed page." I do like the personalization ability, but would like to see a search feature added for the personas (though limiting the screens to setting, nature, etc is helpful).

    ReplyDelete